Since its creation in 1912, the Canadian Political Science Association has promoted, developed, and facilitated the study of government and politics in Canada and internationally. The association provides services to those committed to educating Canadians and international scholars about government and politics and to conducting academic research on these topics. It connects students, researchers, practitioners, teachers, and public officials, both to one another as well as to domestic and international resources for the study of the discipline.
If you are a political scientist or a student in political science; a retired academic or researcher; a public official or researcher in federal, provincial, or local governments, international organizations, agencies, or NGOs; a teacher or researcher in a college or a Cégep; or a person in the private sector interested in the study of government and politics, you may apply for membership in the Association.
Please note that a membership follows the calendar year (January to December) and that renewal notices are forwarded in November for the following calendar year. If a new membership is submitted in the last quarter of the year, it will be processed for the following calendar year. Members also have the option of subscribing to the automatic renewal service. This option requires the submission of a credit card number, the expiry date and the card verification code. Members subscribing to this service will have their membership renewed automatically each November for the following calendar year. Members can also include a donation to the CPSA with their membership payment. Receipts will be provided.
There are two categories of membership available:
- Canadian Political Science Association only;
- Joint membership in the Canadian Political Science Association and the Société québécoise de science politique.
Students and any other person earning under $50,000 annually (income level stated refers to gross annual income (before taxes)):
- CPSA only - $50
- Joint CPSA and SQSP - $60
All other members:
- CPSA only - $165
- Joint CPSA and SQSP - $185
- Access to the online version of the Canadian Journal of Political Science (CJPS);
- The option of receiving a paper version of CJPS (four issues per year) for an additional $25 shipping fee;
- 20 percent off the CDN dollar price of all books published by Cambridge University Press (click here for more information);
- The professional recognition of being listed in the Directory of Political Scientists in Canada and having your research interests known;
- Access to participation in the Annual Conference and to related funding;
- The option of holding a joint membership with the Société québécoise de science politique and receiving its material which includes a subscription to the CJPS and the Société's Politique et Sociétés (additional Société activities);
- The option, for all political scientists, of subscribing to the Polcan listserv.
- The option, for women members, of joining the CPSA Women's Caucus Facebook group.
- The option, for students members, of joining the CPSA - Graduate Students Facebook group
- The option of subscribing to Canadian Public Policy at special, sponsoring-association rates.
Membership fees also contribute to the administration of the following activities:
- Annual Conference;
- Parliamentary Internship Programme and the Ontario Legislasture Internship Programme;
- Association website which includes, among other features, employment opportunities.
- Association listserv Polcan;
- Development Fund.
Please e-mail any queries to cpsa-acsp @ cpsa-acsp.ca.