Donald Smiley Prize
This annual prize has been established to honour the life and work of the late, distinguished, Canadian political scientist and former Association’s President, Donald V. Smiley. The prize is awarded every year.
• The prize will be awarded to the author of the best book published in English in French in a field relating to the study of government and politics in Canada.
• To be eligible, a book may be single-authored or multi-authored. Textbooks, edited books, collections of essays, translations and memoirs will not be considered.
• A book can be submitted by the author, the publisher or a member of the jury.
• A book that has been submitted to the Donald Smiley Prize cannot be submitted to another CPSA book prize in the same year or in a subsequent year.
• In the case of a single-authored book, the author must be a member of the CPSA in the year the book is considered for the prize (2021). In the case of a multi-authored book, at least one of the authors must be a member of the CPSA in the year the book is considered for the prize (2021). The membership fee, in either of the above cases, must be received at the CPSA Secretariat before the prize submission deadline.
• For the 2021 award, a book must have a copyright date of 2020.
• The deadline for submission of books is December 10, 2020. Books published between December 11th and December 31srt are eligible, provided that members of the jury are informed of the date of mailing.
• The winner will be announced at the 2021 CPSA Conference.
• The winner will receive a commemorative plaque and the set of books submitted to the CPSA for the 2021 prize.
• To nominate a book, a copy must be sent directly to each member of the Prize Jury and to the CPSA Secretariat. The packages or e-mails must be clearly marked Donald Smiley Prize Entry.
Canadian Political Science Association (electronic copy)
Laurent Dobuzinskis (paper copy)
Contact Laurent Dobuzinskis for mailing address.
Kelly Gordon (paper copy)
Contact Kelly Gordon for mailing address.